What is ORCID?
“How can I build a verified record of my research activities, with automatic updating, and that is connected with all the different publishers, funders, and institutions I work with?”
ORCID is an interdisciplinary organization created by the research community for the benefit of you and the organizations that support the research ecosystem.
We provide a digital identifier (an ORCID iD) that distinguishes you from other researchers and a record that supports automatic links among all your professional activities.
ORCID's name was formed from the acronym "open researcher and contributor identifier" -- but just call us "ORCID"!
Our vision is a world where all who participate in research and scholarship are uniquely identified and connected to their contributions and affiliations.
Why Should I Use ORCID?
- An ORCID iD reliably connects you with your works, awards, and affiliations. Use it when submitting a manuscript or applying for a grant.
- ORCID alleviates mistaken identity. Many researchers share the same, or a similar name, making it easy to confuse you with someone else. Having and using your own ORCID iD ensures that you are correctly identified.
- You own and control your record, managing what information is connected and how it is shared. Researcher control is a core ORCID principle. Only you can claim an ORCID iD for yourself and only you can set up your record. You choose what information to connect to your iD, and whom to share it with - everyone, no one, or trusted organizations (e.g. ORCID members, who must first get your permission to access your record).
- More and more of the systems you already use are connected with ORCID. With over 700 members and more than 500 live integrations, ORCID is already being used in many of your existing workflows.
- ORCID saves you time – “enter once, reuse often”. Our ultimate goal is for you to manage your research and career information using your iD and your ORCID record, and for updates to flow from there easily into the other systems you use. This will not only save you time, but also ensure that the information in your record has been validated by your organizations.
- eScholarship will update your ORCID records every time a record is added. eScholarship is an open-access scholarly publishing and repository service for the University of California system. Researchers deposit their work into eScholarship to share their full range of scholarly work completed, and this work can be paired with ORCID to automatically update your records when one is added.
- ORCID improves recognition for you and your research. Using your iD creates reliable connections between your iD and your research activities.
- ORCID increases discoverability of your research outputs. Connections also make you and your research easier to discover. A number of platforms are including ORCID iDs as a search term and/or a method for enhancing search results.
- It’s free to register and use an ORCID iD. ORCID is, and always will be, free for researchers. Anyone who contributes in any way to research, scholarship, or innovation can register for an iD.
- It’s easy to register, and to use and connect your iD with your affiliations, works, and awards. Registration takes less than a minute - all you need is one version of your name, your email address and a password.
- Your ORCID iD is your lifelong digital identifier. ORCID is open, international, community-based, and multi-disciplinary. You can use your iD at every stage of your career, through your education, jobs, and more.
Try it for yourself!: http://orcid.org/